Who can request Hospice Services?
- Family members or friends
- Physicians or Healthcare Professionals
Please contact High Desert Hospice early, even if you are unsure if hospice is right for you or your loved one. This helps to ensure that patients are made as comfortable as possible and families are provided with the support they need to understand what to expect as their loved one’s illness progresses. Call 505-585-2604 to talk with someone about High Desert Hospice.
What to expect?
- An experienced and professional High Desert Hospice Community Liaison will schedule a personal consultation with you and your family
- Every patient will go through an initial evaluation to determine prognosis and to determine if their medical goals are consistent with what hospice services provide
- A physician referral will be obtained prior to admission and then a hospice assessment can be completed
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) urges physicians to make early referrals for those with life limiting disease, noting:
- In the beginning, patients may improve while on hospice
- Patients may be on hospice longer than 6 months
- Prognoses do not have to be certain, because end-stage conditions often alter course